What causes snoring?
Snoring is caused by the vibration of the airway tissues in the back of the throat during sleep breathing. The greater the obstruction; the louder the snoring.
Does a mouthpiece stop snoring?
Yes. The snoring mouthpieces have been shown to effectively stop snoring.
What kinds of mouthpieces are used to prevent snoring?
Although there are several hundred products on the market, there are only two types of effective mouthpieces for snoring.
How does the stop snoring mouthpiece work?
Both of these mouthpieces open the airway by moving the tongue forward. When the airway is more opened there is less vibration of the soft tissues in the back of the throat so there is less snoring.
Stop Snoring Mouthpiece Rating Factors
When rating the various mouthguard types several factors are taken into consideration. Each person may place varying degrees of importance on the factors depending on their cost tolerance, time allocation and ability to adjust to mouth appliances. Factors considered in rating are the following:
· Cost: Is the product economical, expensive or in between?
· Comfort: Is the product comfortable enough to be worn the entire night?
· Fit: Does the appliance stay put and is it secure during use?
· Appliance longevity: Will the device last a year or more if used every night?
· Ease of use: Is the product easy to use?
· Fitting Time: Is the fitting process easy and do it yourself or is it complicated, requiring the assistance of a dentist to be properly fitted?
· Product Access: Is the product easily available? Can the device be sent to me or do I need to go somewhere to get it?
· Effective: Does the product overall do the job of stopping snoring?
The Mandibular advancement mouthpieces come in the following forms:
A sleep dental specialist makes the mouth impressions, makes the appliance in a dental laboratory and then professionally fits the snoring mouthpiece.
User Fitted Laboratory Mouthpiece
The user makes their own dental impression and sends those to a dental laboratory who returns the appliance directly to the user.
Boil and Bite Dual Laminate Snoring Mouthpiece
This mouthpiece is also heated and molded but it has an extra layer of material which provides a more secure fit.
Boil and Bite Snoring Mouthguard
The user heats a mouthguard type appliance in hot water and molds the material to a shape recommended by the manufacturer.
A one-size-fits-all mouthpiece which does not allow for custom fitting with hot water.
The Tongue Stabilizing Device is available in the following ways:
These stop snoring devices are available by prescription only and can be ordered by a sleep dental specialist. 80% of all people use the same size. No impressions are required.
Internet Dentist Supervised
Following a sleep questionnaire and individual analysis an online dental practitioner can prescribe a Tongue Stabilizing Device
if you qualify. Since no impressions are required, there is a cost savings.
Please see the following for a comparison of the stop snoring mouthpieces:
Examples of the different mouthguard types include the following:
· Dentist Supervised Custom Mouthpiece: Somnomed, Moses
· User Fitted Laboratory Mouthpiece: Quiet Nite Z Elite
· Boil and Bite dual laminate mouthpiece: QuietNite Z
· Boil and Bite user fitted mouthpiece: SleepPro
· Stock, no fitting required, mouthpiece: Sleep Right
· Internet Dentist Supervised Tongue Stabilizing Device: MpowRx
Choose a stop snoring mouthpiece according to your own personal cost, comfort and risk tolerance.
If you are unsure which is the best snoring mouthpiece for you, take a quick self evaluation to find out: Here.