How to Stop Snoring
The horrible snoring sound sometimes as loud as a jet engine can ruin relationships and endanger your health. There are many options available to stop snoring.
What causes Snoring?
Snoring is causes by soft tissue vibrating against the airflow during sleep. Imagine a window shade rattling in the wind. If that shade is tight and fixed then there will be no noise. Likewise a mild breeze will make no sound whereas a strong breeze can make it rattle. You may find it easier to fix a window but harder to stop snoring. So anything that makes the tissue floppy or anything that increases the effort to get air during sleep may cause snoring. Treatments that tighten, open or stiffen the airway such as a snoring mouthpiece and other solutions can improve snoring.
Why should I care about snoring?
Personal relationships suffer as your sleep partner may object to the disturbing sounds. Studies have shown that the noise can affect the health of you and your partner. The snoring may also be associated with a multitude of medical problems as the difficulty of restful sleep often results in stress to the cardiovascular system. Generally, the louder the snoring noise is the worse the potential for medical problems.
Stop Snoring Solutions
Generally there are two categories of ways to stop snoring which are either self-help or professional assistance. You may need to use a combination of these stop snoring remedies as there may not be just one stop snoring cure.
Self Help Snoring Tips and Remedies
· Sleep alone. Of course this does not stop the snoring but it may improve your relationship.
· Have your partner use ear plugs. If your snoring is moderate in volume, this may be a solution to sleep together.
· Use a white sound noise machine to mask the sound may work for lower volume snoring.
· Breathe through your nose. Breathing through your mouth increases the likelihood of snoring
· Nasal Sprays. If you are not able to breathe through your nose due to allergies or a cold or some physical obstruction over the counter sprays or prescription nasal sprays may reduce the snoring.
· Nasal Strips. During sleep these strips keep the nasal pathway open to its maximum to reduce airway resistance.
· Use nasal irrigation (Neti Pot) to keep the nasal passages clear.
· Fat blocks the airway. As weight increases neck fat accumulates and blocks the airway further increasing airway resistance. Lose weight. Skinny people can snore also and may have another cause of their snoring.
· Keep the head and upper body elevated. Using a pillow to keep the head slightly up may help with snoring.
· Sleep on your side to prevent the airway from constricting during sleep. Gravity pulls down the tissue at night. Avoid sleeping on your back.
· Stop smoking. Smoking increases throat inflammation and increases snoring.
· Don’t drink alcohol at least 3 hours before bedtime. Alcohol relaxes the tissues and also causes disturbed sleep, sometimes, bad dreams and further complicates the sleep experience.
· Sedatives also relax the throat tissues and result in snoring.
· Do not use caffeine at least 4 hours prior to bed time.
· Avoid a large meal before at least 3 hours before bedtime. A full stomach may prevent the diaphragm from functioning properly making breathing more difficult during sleep.
· Get a snoring mouthpiece. If these self-help tips still fail to prevent snoring, you can try a snoring mouthpiece. These mouthguard type devices, many available over the Internet, help move the tongue forward which improves the airway and stops snoring. The snoring mouthpieces also provide a stiffening of the airway. Keep the rattling window shade comparison in mind here.
Professional Stop Snoring Solutions
All your best efforts may fail for a stop snoring cure and you may need professional help. Seek the services of a qualified sleep dentist, allergist or sleep physician. These are the experts and can help determine if your snoring is a more serious medical problem.
· Treating allergies to prevent nasal obstruction will help reduce the breathing resistance during sleep.
· Certain surgical procedures can be employed to open or stiffen the airway.
· Surgery can correct deformities with the nasal septum and other areas which obstruct airflow into the lung.
· Surgical implants can be placed to stiffen the floppy palate which vibrates in the breeze.
· CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) devices are used for extreme cases of snoring and obstructive sleep apnea.
· Prescription medications can assist in treating snoring.
· Sleep dentists can fabricate a custom stop snoring mouthpiece. These snoring mouthpieces also advance the tongue away from the airway and offer the advantage of a durable custom fit. Dentists or professional online services can provide a unique tongue retaining device to treat snoring.
There are many stop snoring solutions which include self-help, life style changes, snoring mouthpieces, and professional help.