The AMP Alpine is designed to be used in high altitudes to relieve the headaches, nausea, sleeplessness and breathing difficulties commonly experienced by alpine visitors. Fit your own personal AMP then sleep with the mouthpiece to get the no-drug solution to altitude sickness. Don’t loose valuable vacation time in the mountains due to the high altitude! Get the AMP Alpine.
User Self fitting Instructions for the Boil and Bite AMP Alpine
Please read completely the instructions before molding the AMP. Practice the process in front of a mirror first before heating the AMP in water.
1. Boil some water and then pour it into a cup - let it cool for one minute (if the water is too hot, the mouthpiece will become rough and may be un-wearable. Do not use a microwave to boil the water as this may over heat the water.
2. Completely immerse the AMP for two (2) minutes in the cup of hot water by using a spoon or fork. Keep the white handle seated into the opening of the AMP immerse it for longer if you need it to be softer and easier to bite into. More time may be required if the AMP is molded at altitude since the boiling point temperature will be less. It should be soft enough to take an impression of your teeth and change shape as you move your jaw forward.
3. Remove and shake off excess water, then check that it is not too hot.
4. The plastic will be quite soft. Check that none of the sides have flopped down. Straighten the edges to their original position before placing the AMP into your mouth. (since they will catch on your teeth when you bite into the mouthpiece).
5. Make sure that the AMP is the right way up with the “V” notch at the top.
6. Put it on your lower teeth first then gently close your mouth. Use a mirror to see what you are doing.
7. Bite hard and always move your lower jaw forward. To begin with, try it with your lower front teeth slightly in front of your upper front teeth, just slightly beyond the edge to edge position. Bite hard for ten seconds and then bite firmly for another 20 seconds all while continuing with the steps below. Note: if you bite through the mouthpiece, this is generally not a problem. However, if your upper and lower back teeth are touching, then you should not use the mouthpiece.
Note: Look for the “LIFT UP effect”, where when you push your lower jaw forward, you see the white handle insert LIFT UP like a drawbridge.
It should start at the horizontal and rise up more and more as you push your jaw further forward. Most people will need to see at least some lift in the white handle “drawbridge” for the mouthpiece to have any effect. How much? It varies from person to person, but you will soon find what is comfortable for you. Suck in to help keep the white plastic insert in place as well as to remove excess saliva and help get a good fit.
8. Use your fingers to compress the soft material of the mouthpiece against your teeth. This will help it take the shape of your teeth.
Tongue: push hard with your tongue against the mouthpiece, particularly against the back of your lower front teeth. Blow out through your mouth if it is too hot.
9. Continue biting and compression then remove after 30 seconds and put in cold water, until it has cooled. Try the mouthpiece back in your mouth.
Note: Properly following these steps usually provides a secure fit which prevents dislodgement during sleep. Sometimes repeating the process will improve the fit. You must reinsert the white plastic insert while remolding the mouthpiece.
• We believe that you will be completely satisfied with the AMP Alpine. If you are unhappy with your mouthpiece you may return it within 30 days for a complete refund. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information regarding returns.
• As the end user it is your responsibility to read and follow all directions and safety instructions carefully before self fitting. The user of the self fitting AMP assumes all the risks and liabilities and there is no implied guarantee of safety or enhanced performance as other variables exist beyond control of the manufacturer or retailer.
• Our patented AMP products are manufactured with FDA listed materials that are commonly found in other oral mouthguard type appliances made and approved for medical use.
AMP intended use
• AMP the Altitude Mouth Piece is a non-prescription sports mouthpiece which may also improve sleep breathing problems encountered at moderate altitudes by persons age 13 and older who are susceptible to altitude sickness. The AMP is intended to be used by visitors at sleeping altitudes generally encountered at the base of alpine resorts commonly located at 8000 –11,000 feet. Some susceptible persons may benefit from the AMP at lower altitudes. Use of the AMP while traveling to and sleeping at higher altitudes should follow approved acclimatization procedures.
• The altitude sports performance may be improved as a result of improved sleeping, improved breathing mechanics and the MORA effect. Other performance benefits may exist due to the improved breathing functionality.
• The AMP is patent pending and was invented by a dentist who is a member of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine, the Wilderness Medical Society and the Institute of Mountain Medicine.
• Pilot studies have shown the AMP to be effective in reducing and eliminating Acute Mountain Sickness, improving night time oxygenation and improving sleep at altitude. Other study benefits include the prevention of nausea, sleeplessness, fatigue, headaches and breathing difficulties.
• The AMP is not intended to treat obstructive sleep apnea, snoring or dental conditions such as tempromandibular joint disorders. However, many people may see improvement in these conditions while using the AMP. Consult with your dentist or medical sleep specialist for more assistance.
• If you have been diagnosed with any form of sleep apnea or a severe respiratory disorder or cardiac conditions you should consult first with a medical sleep specialist before participating in any high altitude activity for proper advice, diagnosis and treatment. Your certified dental or medical specialist can adjust your AMP Olympic for treatment of various medically related altitude conditions
• If you have dentures, loose teeth, dental infections or tempromandibular joint problems, you should consult your dentist or certified AMP dental provider for a custom professional AMP AlpinePRO or the AMP Olympic..
• Given the short time use for the AMP during the acclimatization period of 2-5 days at a fixed sleeping location, problems are not expected. However, transient mild soreness as the teeth and jaw acclimate to its use may occur. Any temporary bite change seen in the morning after use will soon subside if the jaw is clenched into the normal bite position for a few minutes. Discontinue use of the AMP if sharp, severe, or ongoing pain occurs.
• Use of sedatives or alcohol should be avoided while using the AMP as this may inhibit the breathing process while sleeping.
• Do not store the AMP near heated surfaces as the material may soften and be un-wearable. AMP it up and enjoy the mountain experience!
- AJ 2/9/2011
I dreaded coming to the mountains with my family because I always got very sick and threw up every time. I tried the altitude mouthpiece on my 12th trip and this is the best I have ever felt. If you have altitude sickness, I think you should try the Altitude Mouthpiece.